The Overhead Panel was purchased before Christmas and arrived 4 weeks later. I installed all switches, rotaries and fake gauges. When this was finished i realized that i might have a lot of gaps between the the switches and the holes. The first picture illustrates that problem. So i had to disassemble the complete hardware again and masked all switch holes. It took me 2 hours to disassemble and mask it.2 Hours waste time if i had done everything right the first time.
Gaps between the switches. Backlight shines though.
Disassembling the Front Panels again
All holes have been masked and are ready for painting.
After the massive Investment of 1.200 € for 3 new 40 inch LCD Displays from Toshiba the Outside Visualization has been greatly improved. The Monitors (TV screen) are connected to the Matrox Triple Head2Go (digital version) with DVI to HDMI cables. The Screens are placed on small movable tables. This way i am flexible with the alignment of the screens and can move them out of the way if needed.
- small field of view (approx 35 degree front fov) with one projector
wide field of view with 3 lcd screen (approx. 90 degree front fov)
The FMC has been installed at its place.
The FMC itself consists of front panel, buttons, circuit board, psone screen holder, psone display and the related control board. You can see on the picture how it is assembled.
It is backlit with the usual 12V LED stripes put behind the front panel. It is very bright at the moment so i will control the brightness of the backlight with a LED dimmer from hongkong i pulled from ebay for 1€ per piece and 3 euro shipment fee. Read more under the related page…
The cockpit has been moved from the basement into the cockpit room. You can see the current status on one of the pictures. At the moment i do a lot of work to fill out the empty places in the MIP. This needs a lot of time. When this work is finished i will take care about the throttle quadrant.
One interessting aspect maybe: I managed to get the FMC running on my android galaxy tab using the iview app. But it runs very unstable and the response is not satisfying. Maybe a new software update has fixed these problems – i did not check.
I managed to buy a new CNC router (Moederl) which is far better than my old diy router. Now i am able to do my pieces in much shorter time because i can run at higher feedrates. You can see the AFDS panel and also (yiep yiep) the first homebuilt pcb board for it. I also can mill aluminum now. This will be handy when it comes to a new gear lever.
Having a cnc router gives you the problem that you really need to spend a lot of time for planning the parts. My workflow is the following: The autocad dwg drawing is the source of all information -> panel export as dxf for Cut2d cam software -> in cut2d i plan the tool paths and create the nc code -> export to Mach3 Software which drives the router.
Recently i started to plan the panels in 3D with Audodesk inventor. This increases the ammount of planning time dramatically but i can be sure that the parts will fit together and i do not have problems in during assembly.
Overall, i am quite satisfied with my current cockpit but i see 3 major issues which cause headache for me. 1. The encoders used in the MCP have the known problem that the BU card does not read the signal fast enough so when i turn the encoders, the BU cards misses some detents. This problem is known but i didn´t get a good solution yet. I will make a new MCP and can solve this problem then using a LUA program or using alps encoders which simulated a turn of the know. 2. The MIP is not made out of PDF but out of some weaker material (MDF was oput in the shop when i bought the material so i choose other material calles pressspanplatte. Now i am not satisfied with the stability but i do not want to make everything new. 3. The room where the cockpits is installed is too small for 3 projectors and an enclosure : (((.
A last thing, when i ordered electronic equipment here in germany, i found out that reichelt has some good knobs which are not as expensive as the OC stuff… check this linkhttp://www.reichelt.de/Drehimpulsgeb…6ef5c099aa99ee
Cokcpit has moved into its new room. Visualization with 1x projector.
First PCB Board fresh out of the home production
Just some update on my project. The MIP is finished in terms of woodwork. Now i am ready to move the whole thing to my cockpit room for the wiring. For this i also ask for some suggestions how to approach the wiring. I have 2 BU0836X controllers from Leo Bodnar, OC Mastercard, OC USB Expansion card, OC Output card and 2 x Display card. I do not know how to approach the wiring in a good and organized way. I think i will place the 2 bodnar cards in the glareshiled behind the mcp as there are the most inputs at the moment which have to be connected. I also do not know how to make good connection which are connectable (and disconnectable) for fast connection of the components (should i go for 40 pin flatbed IDE cables ?).
Ok, as you can see on the pictures i most of the backlighting is done. I will install some 10 k potis to regulate the brightness of them.
The glareshield has been covered with black artificial leather over some 10mm softfoam matresses.
For the start i installed a 17 inch screen in the pedestal and will replace that with a touchscreen this year. The next steps will be wiring, installation of the missing components in the MIP, and getting the whole thing running with PROSIM737.
One major task will be to figure out how to mill the annunctiator holders and faceplates for them. I would like to see some gear indicators lighting up ; )
Detail of MCP. The backlighting is done with a stripe of white LEDS on a MDF sheet. This provides additional stability for the MCP.
First Test of backlighting is sucessful